The second Release Candidate for the Django-CMS 2.1 was just released and is ready for testing. Please keep in mind that this is a release candidate, and not a final release yet!
Please report any issues you find with this release to our issue tracker at
https://github.com/divio/django-cms/issues, thank you.
This second Release Candidate fixes a few bugs found in 2.1 RC1 as well as a compatibility problem with Django 1.2.4 which was released shortly after RC1.
The bugs fixed in RC2 are:
- #621: Page changelist in admin is incompatible with Django 1.2.4 when using multiple sites
- #624: Saving pages with a language not available to the site currently being browsed, but available to the target site of the page
- #631: MultilingualURLMiddleware does not work with single-quoted urls in templates
- #630: Pages cannot be added if CMS_MODERATOR is False
There are currently no known issues with RC2.
So what's new in 2.1?
- Frontend Editing!
You can edit your contents directly on the site, as an alternative to the more abstract admin panel.
- Better integration of 3rd party applications!
It is now easier then ever to integrate any 3rd party Django applications into your CMS or make your Django application CMS-Ready.
It is now possible to use the Django-CMS Plugin based content architecture in any Django model using the new Placeholder Fields! This even comes with full blown frontend editing.
- Menu Refactor
The menu code has been strongly refactored since 2.0 and it is now easier to extend and alter the menus.
- Better Docs, Better Tests, Better Code
Our documentation is now hosted on the amazaing readthedocs.org and was improved vastly and is still being improved until 2.1 final. On top of that our testing infrastructure, our test suite and our test coverage has improved significantly as well. And in the process of fixing a lot of bugs, we have also improved the readability and maintainability of the Django-CMS codebase to make it easier for new developers to get around.
- And lots more!
In the name of the django CMS Core Developers team I wish you all a happy new year and enjoy our RC2!